"I took out this worm and I was shocked, I was absolutely shocked," she said. "I watched it and it was alive." He lived for about five seconds, she said The Oregonian and then he died. "I thought, what the hell did I see?" She said.
Abby said at first that she thought the worm had fallen into the eyes of the salmon she was fishing for (did you know that salmon can contain tapeworms?), But after removing more from worms she saw a doctor. "There were several doctors examining my eye, and at first they were a little skeptical because who goes in and claims that they have a worm in the eye?" Abby told CNN. "I say to myself," Go, please, show yourself, "because sometimes they passed behind my eye and under the eyelid, and you could not see them or feel them anymore."
But after half an hour, they appeared. "I felt a scribble in my eyes, and I told the doctors," You must look now! "" She says. "I will never forget the expression on their face when they saw it moving in my eyes."
She was eventually referred to an infectious disease specialist who contacted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC finally realized that the worms were Thelazia gulosa, a parasite found on the cow's eyeballs. (Abby had been living on a ranch earlier that summer and worms may have entered her eyes from a gnat.)
Of course, you would assume that once the doctors would have understood this that was happening, they could blow those worms into oblivion, but that did not work that way. According to The Oregonian killing worms would not help as they would still be in Abby's eyes, where they could cause an infection. So she had to keep taking them out. Fourteen worms were removed altogether.
Of course, the whole story worthy of Abby WTF was written in a case report published in The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene this week. is weird, but Sajeev Kathuria, MD, FACS, ophthalmologist and oculofacial plastic surgeon with Katzen Eye Group, told WomensHealthMag.com that you should not be at all concerned about the appearance of worms in the future. "It's very, very rare," he says.
However, if you happen to find yourself on a farm or walking in a cow pasture, it's a good idea wear sunglasses or other form of eye protection. he says. It's also important to have good hygiene, he says, namely, do not rub your eyes with your hands or put your fingers in your eyes to try to extract something from them, especially if you have not washed them. Abby says that she was (quite naturally) really panicked at first, and did not know if she would lose her vision or die of parasites. While what happened to her is super rare, she wanted to speak in case someone else would go through the same thing. "If it happens to someone else, I just want them to know that I'm fine," she said.
The article "This woman thought that a stray pebble was stuck in her eye – but it was Really 14 Worms" appeared on WomensHealthMag.com